7.13.2009

There are two I's in ministry...

I have been reading The Wounded Healer by Henri Nouwen this summer, and came across this quote:
 
"The Christian leader, minister or priest, is not one who reveals God to his people - who gives something he has to those who have nothing - but one who helps those who are searching to discover reality as the source of their existence.  In this sense we can say that the Christian leader leads man to confession, in the classic sense of the word: to the basic affirmation that man is man and God is God, and that without God, man cannot be called man.  In this context pastoral conversation is not merely a skillful use of conversational techniques to manipulate people into the Kingdom of God, but a deep human encounter in which a man is willing to put his own faith and doubt, his own hope and despair, his own light and darkness at the disposal of others who want to find a way through their confusion and touch the solid core of life."
 
I have a hard time recalling the exact location of Bible verses, my recall of the nuances in various Christian doctrines is not top notch, and I often find myself sympathizing with the pains and struggles of those around me rather than knowing what to say to help them through.  My first instinct, then, is to say that I am not cut out for ministry.  But over the last few years, and furthered now by Nouwen, my definition of ministry has been greatly expanded.  If I can simply be present with someone, simply listen and engage them in where they are, then ministry is happening.  I was with a friend recently, and all I did was be present and be myself, and by the end of the night I felt as though my soul had been nurtured, and my friend felt the same.  My hope is that the music I write works in a similar fashion.  I pray that people might listen and say, "Wow, I know that feeling..."  At that point, ministry is happening, and two souls are meeting together in the embrace of the Spirit.  There is a saying in a couple Eastern traditions that goes something like this:

"The divine in me meets the divine in you."

In other words, wherever two or more are gathered, there He is also.  Any moment can be ministry.  And the exciting thing is, it will probably be just as much ministry to your soul as it is to those present with you.

2 comments:

  1. I think you're on the right track, listening-wise. Many times the people who "know" what to say to help someone through a troubled time are just the people that say less-than-helpful things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael - good post. I go to GPC though we haven't met. I'll make it a point to introduce myself Sunday. I'm Jen's husband though - she went to Carowinds with the youth.

    I thoroughly enjoyed your song during the service and was even more thrilled to sample more of your music on this site.

    I agree with your thoughts - "simply being present" has become a rarity. And, I think, it's potency in regards to ministry can't be overstated. I think you enacted this during your song on Sunday. You sang the song but didn't get in the way of it... to quote your post "In this sense we can say that the Christian leader leads man to confession". You heart was clear and your message came through and I think you caused us all to not see you and your performance; but to see God and ourselves and confess together that we are missing so much and need him deserately. So, thanks! You were a great encouragement to me on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete