7.19.2009

Sunburn - The Light of His Glory

I want to say a big, big, big thank you to everyone who came out to the show at Tate St. Coffee last night.  Joe Next Door and I really appreciated all the support from those who made the trek out to Greensboro, as well as from those who wanted to be there but could not.  I know I had a blast, Joe Next Door had a blast, and we hope you did too.  Local people make local artists possible.

Also, to those who might be visiting the blog for the first time, take a look at the very first post on here if you have a moment.  It offers a sort of "vision statement" for the blog and the music at the bottom of the page.

Last night I played the song Sunburn, which is on the CD, but is a rarity for me in a live set.  It is one of the more cryptic and personal songs that I have written.  Because of that, I wanted to post the lyrics so that it might make a little more sense, and hopefully bring the deeper meaning to the surface.

Sunburn

I found you there in the farthest reaches of my consciousness
Searching for God knows what
You reached out to me like I was a beggar in the gutter
You came at me like a punch to the gut

You said, "My love will sting like a sunburn."
"I won't offer much in return..."
"But I will love you just the same.  I will love you just the same."

You took me down all the darkest roadways and alleys
Showed me things I had never seen
And as a mime, I could say that I hate you
But I think you know just what I mean

"My love will sting like a sunburn."
"I won't offer much in return..."
"But I will love you just the same.  I will love you just the same."

Let your love shine down, let me see the love I know
Let your love shine down, let me see and let me know, that..

Your love will sting like a sunburn
"I won't offer much in return..."
"But I will love you just the same."
"And my love will hurt like a rug-burn."
"But we live and we learn...
and I will love you just the same.  I will love you just the same."
"I will love you just the same."

I found you there in the farthest reaches of my consciousness
Searching for God knows what...

The very beginning stages of this song were inspired by a sermon I once heard, in which the pastor likened God's love to getting hugged while you're sunburned; there is pain, but through love.  In a similar way, God takes us in His embrace, and we feel the effects of sin sizzling on our skin in the Light of His Glory.  Another great image to describe this type of occurrence is in C.S. Lewis' The Voyage of the Dawn Treadder, when Aslan "un-dragons" Eustace (coincidentally mentioned in the sermon this morning!).  So this song is about God taking me on an introspective journey into my impure mind and broken heart.  The chorus is a conversation that ensues after being shown my brokenness between God and myself.  He says to me, "My love will sting like a sunburn," suggesting somewhat the cost of love and discipline.  My response is grateful but afraid (after seeing my condition) that I will not receive this amazing love, "I won't offer much in return..."  Then the true joy comes with His response, 

"But I will love you just the same."

That is the best news we could ever hope to hear.  No matter what has been done, or left undone, His blood covers all, and His steadfast love endures forever.  Each word is purposeful, and I could ramble on and on explaining each detail, but I fear that would actually do more harm than good.  So I hope this illuminates the song a little more, but more so I pray that we can constantly remind one another of this simple yet essential truth.  

Thanks again to all those who came and listened, talked, got a CD or card, and let me share my songs - I am forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment