12.28.2010

Setting Goals

The time of year is fast approaching when about 45% of Americans suddenly find the resolve to lose weight (I give it two weeks max). To others, it is simply known as New Year's Day. While it never has been about losing weight, I too have made resolutions and found myself midway through January trying to recall what they were and why I thought they were a good idea in the first place. However, in the course of living 2010 I have had some very real success in achieving goals I set in the latter part of the year. I owe a lot of that success to a very close friend of mine, and he too has had success with his goals which I would like to think has something to do with our conversations. Recently, he submitted to me some new goals for 2011, and I was inspired to do likewise. At present, I have only a couple, but I still have three days to make more decisions. Here is what I have come up with:
I am going to read The Chronicles of Narnia. For the first time, ever. I know, I know, I know...how could I have lived this long and never read them? I'm not too sure, but that streak ends here. To add some balance to my reading list, I am going to read a book I have been wanting to read in between each Narnia book. For example, after The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, I am going to read In Constant Prayer by Robert Benson, and then read Prince Caspian. I'm excited.
Also, I received a very intriguing book for my birthday called Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals. To be perfectly honest, my prayer life is atrocious. It is nearly an offense to even use the term "prayer life." One major goal for 2011 is to fix that, or, ask God to help me fix that. Common Prayer is a devotional as well as a collection of prayers an liturgy. I intend to read it daily and seek maturity in faith and as a believer through daily prayer and meditation.
Merry Christmas to everyone; I hope it was beautiful. Say farewell to 2010 responsibly and in style, and I'll see you on the other side.

3 comments:

  1. I am very happy you are reading the Narniad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man...this friend sounds like a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you much for mentioning IN CONSTANT PRAYER to your friends. Be in touch when you have read it, I will glad to know what you think. Unless, of course, you do not think much of it . . . .

    Namaste —

    R. Benson
    thelongpew.com

    ReplyDelete