3.21.2012

Create 15 Minutes

Since February 1, I have sought to intentionally set aside 15 minutes each day to create something. The idea was born during a conversation with a friend over a leisurely billiards match and a much needed basket of Ham's homemade chips. As we got caught up on each others jobs and relationships, it became clear that we each had been seeking some sort of creative outlet. So after kicking around a few ideas, it was finally decided that we would take 15 minutes a day and write. The emphasis was not on churning out a New York Times bestseller, but on discipline. If you want to be a writer, you must write. If you want to be a musician, you must make music. If you want to be a painter, you must paint. But all too often I fall prey to the busy-ness of the day and months go by without my hands touching a single creative thing for my pleasure. And so began this great experiment.

While regretfully my dear friend has yet to set his hands at 15 minutes this last month and a half, it had a huge impact on me. At first it was all about writing, but now as the discipline has taken root in me, I have expanded out to other endeavors I have long been interested in doing. And 15 minutes is no longer the goal, but the minimum. Now my 15+ minutes can be devoted to:
  • Writing - journals, book ideas, poetry, short story, etc.
  • Composition - writing songs and producing something tangible like a lyric sheet, chord chart, melody line notes, or a rough recording.
  • Sketching - pencil drawings, watercolors, crayons...drawing what inspired me, or drawing something to inspire me, or simply striving to appreciate the beauty of line and color by participation
  • Intentional Skill Enrichment - focused practice time on a particular area to improve and expand my talent and ability
I've composed two pages of an instrumental piano piece, learned the first movement of a Mozart piano sonata, compiled a great start on a book about spiritual practice, retuned a handful of hymns, and have a rather haphazard yet charming sketch of a tree in bloom. And the best part?

I have never felt more alive.

These things will likely never earn international acclaim or make me lots of money, and they may never even be seen or heard by anyone but myself. That is not the point. The effort is one of Truth, Beauty, and Worship. I feel it sweeping me up into a world of richness and depth.

My prayer is that it moves me closer to the Creator, makes me a better husband, an inspiring teacher, and present in the loving gift of life.

From time to time you might see some of the fruit of my 15 minutes on here. I'd love to know what you think.

Give it a try. What have you got to lose?

1 comment:

  1. Yes!!! Marvelous! This is terrific! I hope you're still doing this!

    ReplyDelete