3.04.2011

Resolution Progress - Month 2

Things continue to move in the right direction, by which I mean I am still reading. February brought some challenges with it, but I am proud to say I have not abandoned my goals as it is so easy to do in the second month. Here is what happened in month two:
C of N #2: Prince Caspian
The Echo Within - Robert Benson
C of N #3: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (in progress)
I did not enjoy Prince Caspian as much as I had anticipated, but in the last few weeks it has grown on me. What helped to make that shift was primarily doing some reading up on the imagery and allowing time for further reflection. I have really started to identify with the way Lewis doesn't simply allow his characters to instantly become leaders, and consequently they do not immediately exhibit the appropriate character traits in times of need. It takes many years for leaders to be made, and I am appreciating that more in my own life, and thus have enjoyed the process for those in Narnia.
Some of you may wonder if this will become a Lewis/Benson project instead of reading a variety of things, but I have an explanation. See, Robert Benson is one of my favorite authors, and I also happen to have a slightly personal connection to him which I may explain further in a future post. Actually, I know I will because he has another book on my list, so when I read that one I promise to explain. But his two books I have read this year have just happened to be on subjects I felt appropriate to start off with. The first was on prayer, which I wanted to read because it is fundamental to our lives. The next, The Echo Within, is about vocational calling. I think it was appropriate to read about prayer first, so that when it came time to really think on vocation, I would be better equipped with deeper (and more frequent) communication with God. As I try to digest all that was said, one thing is very clear: vocation is about being alive and being present. It reads a lot like a memoir or autobiography with some broader conclusions and suggested tasks sprinkled along the way. I love the way he writes, and I love the way he thinks. Although I don't feel like he revealed some huge secret about vocation, I do feel that I can better think and discuss the subject, and I have a positive attitude and greater faith that God will see things through to their ultimate good completion.
So far in Dawn Treader I am ashamed to say that I have identified with Eustace quite a bit. That's enough revealing information for one post. Wish me luck in the third month.
You can also follow my progress through goodreads, a great website that allows you to have a personal virtual library. Just search for my name and ask to be my friend, then you can see how far along I am on the current book of choice, see updates to my reading lists, and just have an all around great time. Hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment