11.18.2009

Oh Fall...

After a short reminder of Summer warmth and the fruits of Spring, we have returned to the overcast, drizzly gray weather of Fall's retreat into Winter.  Not long ago I was driving with the windows down in shorts and a t-shirt, but warm layers and "Thank God's" for heaters have taken their place.  And for better or for worse, my mood seems to follow the weather patterns rather closely.  Joy has been hard to find recently.  My soul mirrors the backyard with painful resemblance; decaying remnants of once flourishing plants, leaves littering the grass as reminders of what once was, and a cool breeze that smarts of the long winter to come.  While that metaphor may be a bit dramatic, I think it holds a good bit of truth.  The change in seasons is a good reminder.  There are some bands out there who have done a good job of capturing a similar sentiment.  Perhaps my favorite is from the group Gratitude:  "Oh Fall, you're a comfortable lover, but I just can't take all the decay."  I tried my hand at my own:

There is nothing
Quite like Falling
Vibrant colors
All around


Where we once were
What we will be
Constant rhythms
Keep us home


We start to change
The colors fade
What is to become of us?


Decaying sign
Of better days
First we must come
Crashing down

But no matter what happens, we always have the assurance that we shall see the sun again.  New life will sprout, clouds will clear, the warmth will return.  Yes, we shall see the Son again.


No comments:

Post a Comment